How engineers in France and Spain find, use and engage with marketing content
Engineering is a niche marketplace and it is absolutely, critically essential for all marketers operating in this industry to thoroughly understand 'the engineering mind' in order for their marketing content to resonate. The engineering customer personas and the buyer’s journey are constantly evolving and we as marketers have to work harder consistently to maintain our understanding of this ever-changing market.
In addition, for brands to grow and stand out in a competitive environment, content marketing is a key strategic driver. Pertinent and insightful content marketing, although sometimes challenging and demanding to create, lends credibility to a brand’s identity and makes a company stand out from the crowd. Content that is just ‘good enough’ will not extend beyond the written word. Brands need to invest in content that comes from the knowledgeable – not just farm it out to the local wordsmith because context is what makes the difference.
While research exists in the broad B2B markets about content marketing, the technical audience’s use of content and their professional preferences, we felt there was a gap in the engineering industry in EMEA. Thus we decided to ask engineers across France and Spain, a series of questions about how they find, use and engage with information that helps them with their day-to-day job. Our aim was to educate and inform B2B technology marketers of the most effective ways to target this highly technical audience.
TAG’s new marketing research reveals that engineers in France and Spain still, in fact, rely on a mix of both traditional and new content sources in order to gather information or make a purchasing decision.
Here’s some other key insights from our research highlighting the importance of being present on channels where your customers are:
- Engineers across France and Spain find an even mix of channels valuable when seeking information on the latest trends. Multi-channel marketing plays a key role here maximising opportunities to interact with prospective customers across multiple channels and platforms.
- 84% of engineers surveyed prefer online content to feature images and graphics. Video is also favoured amongst respondents with 37% of them saying they would like online content to feature it.
- A massive 57% of engineers across Spain and France said they use an ad blocker.
- LinkedIn remains strong for B2B tech - 95% of the engineers said they use it for work purposes.
- Native language is the preferred content choice in Spain where 100% of the engineers surveyed said they want their technical information presented to them in Spanish. The French engineers were split 50/50.
The full research on how engineers in France and Spain find, use and engage with information that helps them with their day-to-day job, is available for download from our B2B Marketing Insights located on the right hand-side of this page. Additionally, there you will also find the marketing research looking at engineers in the UK, Germany and Italy - if those territories are of importance to you.
Sylvia Laws, Managing Director, Technical Associates Group (TAG)